Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Slow Sink to Sub-Zero

The winter breeze blew in from the north, and the chill began.

There was on thing on my list I missed as an essential travel item: My Luck. Somewhere back in antiquity one of my ancestors must have had a tumble in the hay with Loki. The trickster seems to avoid me for the most part, and I'd like to make sure I don't take it for granted.

It's getting colder. The rain is falling, and the wind is blowing. It's still above the zero mark though, so nothing is freezing. Yet. I'm off to Iceland tomorrow, and then things will change.

For the past few days I've been taking residence at my sister's place in St Austell (S'nt ORR-stel), Cornwall. I actually know now, in detail, what she's doing over here. I've also met some friends of hers, esepcailly Steve and Steve. That is to say Hulbert and Webb.
It's been a chance for me to relax, rest, not do a whole lot and prepare for the last two major legs of the trip; Iceland and America. It's still very definately felt like a holiday is supposed to though - I've watched a couple of films, gone on the internet, and played computer games. Precisely what I'd do at home at this time of year, except 20 degrees cooler. And on a projector.
That's not to say that I have been completely sloth, either. I have washed my clothes, purchased some much needed goods (a computer bag and a wallet [don't worry Tabs it's just a cheapie because mine fell to pieces, I'm still looking forward to going shopping with you when I get back]) and re-adjusted the neccesary finance (what little there is left EEP!). With all that sorted, it was back to the tourist grind today and an awesome and inspiring visit to St Austell's attraction, The Eden Project.


The Eden Project is an educational charity which has built habitat reserves in two separate Biodomes (Biomes). Inside these biomes you are transported from wet, wet, wet Cornwall into an arid and temperate climate, or the humid rainforest.
Apart from being futuristically cool looking at biodome shaped apparati, the lush rainforest complete with waterfall is quite fun. Insects and birds even live within these domes. Pretty nifty.

I was curious, and may do a little independent research into the strength and building cost of the geodesic dome, as it gave me some inspiration for my dream home - perhaps I should build it inside one of these domes. It would provide resistance to wind, hail, and other natural elements, not to mention semi-controllable environments which could enable the easy growing of vegetables etc. for use within the house. One day... when I'm rich and famous.

The current temperature in Reykjavik is -8°C. When I arrive, the maximum is 2°C, with a chance of snow and going down to -6°C. If I survive, I'll talk to you all from there... but don't bbe ssurppprised if there's a fffew doubble letters... it's gonna be cold. Makes me triply glad I'm swinging through the Gold Coast on the way back. Thawing out will be neccesary.

--

Just a short note to let you know that I've updated some of the previous posts with photos, and all of them link to the Picasa web albums, with plenty more photos after the jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment